Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Story of My Life

JESSA MAE PLACENCIA MONTEALEGRE'S STORY 
A Hopeful Disaster


May 7, 1996, a child was born in Dumaguete City. It was one fine day when my mother, Jessica Placencia Montealegre was having her labor in Negros Oriental  Provincial Hospital with my father, Mario Getrosa Montealegre carrying my elder brother, Jessmark Placencia Montealegre. At 2:36 in the afternoon, I decided to go out in my mother's womb and see the real and beautiful world out there. Imagine seeing the real world in your two naked eyes? I am truly excited!


My tita Rita, elder sister of my mother, who was my history teller, my first three years has been cheerful. Since I was the youngest among all of my cousins, they used to play with me, one cousin after another then another. But that happiness we felt those times has a reciprocal sadness that brought everyone to grief. I was diagnosed with polio virus. Polio virus the causative agent of poliomyelitis (commonly known as polio), is a human enterovirus and member of the family of Picornaviridae.

 The reason why I kept on saying about my experience of Polio is 4 out of 10 people only are at risk of this kind of illness and has only 60% of being cured, if not then both legs will be numb as ever. I will never forget how I fought polio virus. NEVER!!!

When this chapter of my life entered, I was so confused. I am only 4 and a half years old then  and yet I still cannot walk. I tried talking to other kids and ask them to be my playmate but there was nobody willing to be there for me. My Lola got sick because every night she hoped that these happenings was just a nightmare but when she woke up the morning after, she realized that it was the reality.

I am depressed and frustrated of my situation because I am still 4 years old but I cannot play, I can't walk and run. Every afternoon, by the help of my wheelchair, I am placed in front of the kids playing and there I am, sitting and waiting for a miracle. When my parents  decided to bring me at Holy Child Hospital, the doctor immediately made a random tests and examination about my illness. He was slightly shocked because polio is acquired when a person is weak in immunity and acquired from dirty places like public comfort rooms and the doctor said I'm that kind of child that has a high immunity. After that, he immediately requested for admission because the virus is kinda aggressive. My parents had a hard time looking for financial expenses and all. Luckily, my father had  a savings from his previous work and instead of buying our own house, he used it all to support financial expenses. 

After a month, my doctor found a new way so that polio will be cured. He found out that a good bacteria in horse's body is the best way possible to fight against that polio virus. He told my parents that this process might cost high than expected but my parents never seem to bother. I undergone that process so that I can have back my both knees and feet; to stand alone again and be an ordinary child like it was before.

The treatment went well for over 3 months. At dawn, I was brought by my parents, tita's and tito's, Lola and lolo, and my cousins at the beach, to let me half bodied buried in the sand. In that way, my doctor said, it would lessen the virus and it the salt taste helps the good bacteria that fights against the virus inside. I am feeling hopeful that finally, I can play with my childhood friends. My lolo even bought me a little bike with balancer so that I could practice and exercise my joints. Every 8 am in the morning, I was brought to the hospital to have my therapy. It lasted also for three months and after that, before my birthday came, I already can stand, though not that steady but still it has improved over the last 6 months. 


And because of this, my birthday sacrificed to "San Jose", to pay respect and gratefulness of what God has given me. He gave me a second life to live!!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment